VLP offers a variety of volunteer opportunities, from case handling to short-term projects. There are opportunities for attorneys with all levels and types of experience, for law students, paralegals, undergraduate students, and some non-law professionals. We provide the training and support attorneys need to make pro bono work. Find out more about the resources and benefits available to VLP pro bono attorneys.
The Volunteer Lawyers Project handles cases in the following areas:
- Landlord-Tenant, representing tenants and low-income landlords
- Homeownership, including cases for first-time home buyers
- Foreclosure Prevention
- Family Law, with a focus on cases helping custodial parents achieve economic independence
- Guardianship of Minors
- Guardianship of Incapacitated Adults
- Bankruptcy, primarily Chapter 7
- Wills, Advance Directives, and Basic Probate matters
- Unemployment Insurance denials and terminations
- Fair Debt Collection
- Tax assistance, not including filing income taxes
- Appellate cases, particularly in fair debt collection cases, in coordination with VLP's Appeals Clinic.
VLP staff attorneys and paralegals carefully screen cases prior to referral to pro bono panel members. With each case referred, panel attorneys receive a detailed memo summarizing the case and identifying the presenting issues. VLP also assesses the complexity of cases of case so that simpler cases are referred to less experienced attorneys and more challenging cases go to more seasoned practitioners.
If you are not yet a VLP panel member, browse our sample cases to see common types of cases we handle. For more information about available cases, please contact Angelika Romero at email@example.com or 617-423-0648 x129.
Ready to take a case? Click here to see how our case referral process works.
VLP's malpractice insurance covers volunteers for all VLP pro bono work, from representation in individual cases to short-term assistance at a clinic, lawyer for the day project, or other project.
We use an online signup system called VolunteerSpot. It is easy to use (no passwords to remember) and it offers a very robust FREE version. VolunteerSpot makes it easy for us to organize the clinics, projects and trainings that help you make a difference to our clients. If you have questions or problems signing up, please email Barbara Siegel.