Who We Help

VLP serves residents of Suffolk and some town in Plymouth, Norfolk, and Middlesex counties in Massachusetts. See a complete list of towns below.

These are the types of people VLP helps:

  • Tenants facing eviction.
  • Survivors of domestic violence seeking legal protection from abuse. 
  • People with limited English proficiency who need a divorce.
  • Parents with custody of children who need child support. 
  • People being harassed or sued by debt collectors.
  • Seek a fresh financial start through bankruptcy.
  • Workers cheated out of wages or denied lawful benefits.
  • Parents seeking guardianship over severely disabled children who are turning 18.
  • Family members seeking guardianship of minor children whose parents are unavailable.
  • People who need a will, health care proxy or power of attorney.
  • Unemployed workers who need help getting unemployment insurance.
  • Low-income landlords with problem tenants.
  • Disabled non-custodial parents who need to modify their child support obligation.

Not everyone is eligible for free civil legal aid.

To qualify for VLP services, clients must:

  • Live in our service area.
  • Have incomes under 125% or 200% of the federal poverty guidelines or are age 60 and older.
  • Have civil legal issues that meet our priorities.
  • Be a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (green card holder) or have another status acceptable under the LSC rules. 
VLP refers people we can't assist to organizations that may be able to help.  

VLP Service Area: Acton, Arlington, Ashland, Bedford, Bellingham, Belmont, Boston, Braintree, Brookline, Cambridge, Canton, Carlisle, Chelsea, Cohasset, Concord, Dedham. Dover, Everett, Foxborough, Framingham, Franklin, Hingham, Holbrook, Holliston, Hopkinton, Hudson, Hull, Lexington, Lincoln, Malden, Marlborough, Maynard, Medfield, Medford, Medway, Melrose, Millis, Milton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Norfolk, Norwell, Norwood, Plainville, Quincy, Randolph, Revere, Scituate, Sharon, Sherborn, Somerville, Stoneham, Stow, Sudbury, Wakefield, Walpole, Waltham, Watertown, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, Westwood, Weymouth, Winchester, Winthrop, Woburn, Wrentham.

Click here if you are looking for legal help.

For basic information about your legal rights or to find out about other legal services offices in Massachusetts, go to www.masslegalhelp.org/.