Sign Up Today!
Suffolk County Probate & Family Court
Middlesex County Probate & Family Court
Attorneys are needed to provide legal help to pro se petitioners with guardianship cases. Senior Partners for Justice/VLP offer this time-limited project for attorneys of all levels of experience and for law students.
Clinic volunteers only provide Limited Assistance Representation (LAR). Volunteers do not file an appearance on behalf of the petitioners or guardians; our services are limited to advice and assistance with forms.To learn more about LAR, become self-certified here.
How It Works
• A paralegal or law student screens interested clients for eligibility
• A VLP attorney or experienced volunteer coordinates the project and matches clients with a volunteer
• Two types of guardianship assistance are offered in the court-based clinics. Our volunteer attorneys and law students:
o Help low-income petitioners for guardianship complete and file the guardianship petitions, AND
o Help low-income guardians complete their care plans and annual reports.
Benefits of Volunteering
• Limited Assistance: Limited assistance representation means you finish with your client on the same day. No drawn-out help with court proceedings or legal advice.
• Mentorship: Attorneys of all experience volunteer. Learn from a more experienced attorney, or mentor a younger attorney.
• Networking: Want to meet other attorneys in your area of practice? Clinics are a great way to make connections with other legal professionals.
The Volunteer Lawyers Project provides primary malpractice insurance for all pro bono work.
If you do not have experience in guardianship, you can attend one of VLP’s free trainings on Guardianship or Minors or Guardianship of Adults. Check our calendar for upcoming training dates. Want more information? Contact paralegal Victoria DeLaney at email@example.com or 857-320-6441 with any questions.